Rechercher dans ce blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Head Coach Bruce Weber, Davion Bradford Preview Little Apple Classic - K-StateSports.com

little.indah.link
MANHATTAN, Kan. – K-State head coach Bruce Weber and freshman Davion Bradford met with members of the media via Zoom on Monday, as the Wildcats continued to work towards their season opener against Drake set for Wednesday at 1 p.m., CT in the first game of the Little Apple Classic at Bramlage Coliseum. The game will air nationally on ESPNU. 
 
K-State and Drake will be joined in the Little Apple Classic field by former Big 12 rival and current Pac-12 foe Colorado and South Dakota, which will meet in the tournament's second game on November 25 at 7 p.m., CT. Drake and South Dakota will tip off the tournament's final day on Friday, November 27 at 1 p.m., CT followed of the renewal of the rivalry between K-State and Colorado for the first time since 2011 at 7:30 p.m., CT on ESPNU.
 
K-STATE HEAD COACH BRUCE WEBER
On what the layout will be for Wednesday...
"Well, I think the good thing is that finally on Friday, we had enough people to play 5-on-5. In a way, obviously, it has helped us. Because that's how you play the game. But at the same time, it is a little scary because you realize how much stuff you need to go through. I thought about it today, if someone plays a 1-3-1 zone on us or even try to get a press offense in. Those are things we didn't get to do at the beginning because we are trying to build your groups and now you don't have 10 players, your managers, your graduate assistants, so it is tough to simulate some of that stuff. I am happy we had 10 guys on Thursday. We had to be careful for those guys who were coming back. We got a little more rhythm. We scrimmaged a little more on Saturday. We couldn't get officials with them being quarantined. I still don't know how your team is going to react. You just hope you have done enough with them and they step up and make some plays."
 
On what the rotation will be like for the upcoming games...
"I tease Rudi (Williams) before. It was a little overwhelming. But I told him, 'Rudi, you have to play.' At that time, we only had four guards. Now that we have Selton (Miguel) back, we have five. I think we have a feel of who is starting to build roles, starting to build trust with each other and the coaches. We have not had that feel yet. That is where the exhibitions and scrimmages would've helped. We are going to have to play it by ear. I am afraid of foul trouble. We had officials for one day but it is harder to do on a daily basis with coaches. I just don't want somebody to get fouls right away and have to sit out. But I think I have a good feel. We will just see how it goes. I really want to get some guys some opportunities because we will need some guys." 
 
On who has been the player that has missed the most time at practice ...
"Luke (Kasubke) has missed the most. Carlton (Linguard, Jr.) is next, he has had a back issue. Just starting to get him back. Then we have had some guys involved with contact tracing. Seryee (Lewis), Selton (Miguel) have missed some time. Drew (Honas), our walk-on, has missed some.  We have had guys in and out. Kaosi (Ezeagu) has missed some as of late. We will just have to play it by ear."
 
On what he expects from Drake on Wednesday...
"They have a really good, experienced point guard (Roman Penn). I think he was Preseason All-MVC (Second Team selection). They play great. They won 20 games. Good offensive team. Their big kid was an integral part of the team. He would've been back, but transferred to Minnesota. But they did bring in a big player (Darnell Brodie) from Seton Hall. They also have a graduate transfer (Shanquan Hemphill) from Green Bay. He is very athletic, very talented. He can slash and rebound, gives them another older player. They have a couple guys who can shoot the basketball. They are a pretty, well-balanced team. They played well in the Missouri Valley Tournament. Both them and Colorado have experienced point guards. I would say that is the one spot we have the least experience in. It is a little bit scary for us but we will see what happens."
 
On his expectations for Davion Bradford...
"I don't want to put too much pressure on him. I would say he is the biggest surprise on some of the things he has done. He has good hands, catches the ball. I think his footwork is the biggest thing when in traffic, being able to keep his balance and still be able to manipulate and score. That is important for him. If he can guard ball screens, if he can get out and do some of that, I think he can be a really good player for us. I think the future is bright for him. He has a good personality, good heart. He's been through a lot himself. He wants to be a good player. It is ironic, some of the guys you worry about being too confident. In Davion's case and a couple of the other guys, we almost have to give them confidence and make them realize they are good players and that they will be okay."
 
FRESHMAN DAVION BRADFORD
On what he has done in practice that has helped his transition at K-State...
"First of all, when I first got here, I weighed 278 pounds. Working with our lifting coach and getting on a diet, I am down to 254 now. So, that changed me. I lost weight and got stronger is the first part. Secondly, learning the game the way Coach Weber teaches it and the way he needs me to do things. I just listen and learn and do whatever he needs me to do. It is just getting the experience and playing on the next level. Especially in practice. Everyone who is there, except the freshman, has had experience in the Big 12. Just basically learning everything they need me to learn."

On his strengths on the court...
"I look at myself as a team player mostly. Both ends of the court. My defense could get a little better. My offense is pretty good. I love setting screens for my teammates and executing the right plays. I will do anything that coach needs me to do really. I finish around the basket, rebound, and just do anything we need to do to get the win."
 
On playing in his first college game...
"I am very excited. I am also nervous. I think that comes with everyone being nervous for their first game as a freshman also. I think I will be ready because I have been working on this for 5-6 months. I think I will be ready for anything that comes this week."
 
On what has made the build up to the season difficult...
"It has been kind of difficult. It started out kind of rough at the beginning. Everything was kind of strict. If you go out in public, you need a mask. You ride in a car with someone, you need a mask. We also have to wear masks in the basketball facility, in the locker room, in the weight room. I feel like the difficult part of this is when you start sweating, the mask becomes drenched and becomes difficult to breath through. Everything has started rough in the beginning, but everything is going fine now. Just because it is a new team and everyone is getting used to everything that coach is teaching us."
 
On what is the biggest difference from high school to K-State...
"It is way different when you go to college. Coaches get more strict and there are different teaching styles. It has been way different. Now looking back on this, things are different, things are harder. It has been definitely different. Especially with the conditioning. It is not like high school. I just have to accept that and play it how it is."
 

Print Friendly Version

Let's block ads! (Why?)

The Link Lonk


November 24, 2020 at 08:43AM
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2020/11/23/mens-basketball-head-coach-bruce-weber-davion-bradford-preview-little-apple-classic

Head Coach Bruce Weber, Davion Bradford Preview Little Apple Classic - K-StateSports.com

https://news.google.com/search?q=little&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Nikki Haley's super PAC spent big to fuel her rise. It started 2024 with little left. - NBC News

little.indah.link The super PAC backing former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley entered the election year in January with just $3.5 million in...

Popular Posts