Rechercher dans ce blog

Monday, September 27, 2021

A little of this, A little of that - Fillmore County Journal

little.indah.link

Fabulous fall is finally here.  I can’t stand the heat; I can’’t stand the cold.  This weather is Goldilocks right for me.  The color of fall leaves makes me feel like I live in a fairytale book. 

Even without a fairy godmother I can finish many chores because of the cool mornings.  Getting a good night’s sleep really helps with the fresh air from an open  window.  I even got married in the fall. Fall spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and ginger enhance all of my baking.  (My husband just read this over my shoulder and wanted to know when will the baking start?)  He has a one-track mind. 

Growing up, my grandparents lived across the street from the football field so that meant homecoming was a big deal complete with food, sparklers and a bonfire.  Raking the leaves and jumping in them was half the fun before we even lit the fire. All the cousins were there.  None of us had to pay a dime to see the game from grandpa’s house.  It was almost better than Halloween!

My sister Barb loved fall because of the apples which she and her friend (you know who you are, Pat Hanson)  stole from the neighbors. They liked sour green apples with salt on them.  I bet their taste buds have changed over time.  My mouth puckers just from typing (green apples with salt on them).

There are so many varieties of apples that every taste bud can be satisfied.  My favorite is honeycrisp which was created right in Minnesota in 1991.  I prefer macintosh for baking.  Up until 2017 red delicious was the most popular variety in the United States.  Gala apples beat it  in 2018.  Some like apples red. Some like apples pink.  Some like apples green like granny smith.  Some like them hard.  Some like them soft.  Some like them sweet.  Some like them sour.  Some even  like them with salt on them.  Most everybody likes them in pie!  Applesauce and apple butter are also popular. Hard apples like granny smith have less sugar and so last longer.  When picking apples, twist them gently so the stem stays on.  This also helps them last longer.

An alternative to apple pie is this honey and apple cake.

Adblock test (Why?)

The Link Lonk


September 27, 2021 at 07:55PM
http://fillmorecountyjournal.com/a-little-of-this-a-little-of-that-45/

A little of this, A little of that - Fillmore County Journal

https://news.google.com/search?q=little&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Nikki Haley's super PAC spent big to fuel her rise. It started 2024 with little left. - NBC News

little.indah.link The super PAC backing former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley entered the election year in January with just $3.5 million in...

Popular Posts